OHIO NONVIOLENCE WEEK
Sunday October 3: 3P
- 11th Annual Ohio Nonviolence Week Parade & Rally. Register here.
- Event Time: 3P
- Parade Location: Begins at the corner of Wick Ave. and Wood Street
- Rally Location: Youngstown Amphitheatre
Sunday, Oct. 3 through Friday, Oct. 8:
- Five Day Nonviolence/Social Justice Reading Challenge and Panel Discussion
- The Challenge asks participants to make daily time and space to learn more about the principles of nonviolence and how the community can stand in solidarity and speak up against violence.
- Participants who have signed up for the challenge will receive daily reading material via email to help foster their understanding and awareness. Readings will be emailed Sunday through Thursday (October 3-7) and a panel discussion with our community leaders will be held both via Zoom and in-person on Friday, October 8, at noon at the YWCA. Moderator: Germaine Bennett. Panelists: Jim Ray, Donna Sloan, Susan Moorer, Brenda Scott, and Steve Schultz.
- Visit https://ohiononviolenceweek.org/fivedaychallenge or click here to sign up to receive the readings and RSVP for the in-person panel discussion (includes a light luncheon).
Monday October 4: 5:30-8P
- Simeon Booker Award for Courage
- National Recipient of Simeon Booker Award for Courage – John Lewis, posthumously. The award will be housed at the Civil Rights Institute in Birmingham.
- Local Recipient of Simeon Booker Award for Courage – Reverend James Ray
- Tyler History Center | FREE PROGRAM | 7P
- Featured Speaker: JoAnne Bland from Selma, Alabama, participant in Bloody Sunday
- Wine and Hors d’oeuvres Reception | 5:30P| $25 | Click here for ticket information.
Tuesday October 5: 6-9P
- “Mingle With Minni” Zoom event & Chicken or Fish Dinner Fundraiser
- Zoom with Minni @ 7P
- Location: Flambeau’s | 2308 Market St., Youngstown, 44507
- Dinner Cost: $25 dine-in dinner | Carryout: 2 Dinners for $25
- For online tickets click here. For tickets by mail or in-person call: Sandy (330) 953-7822 or Vicki (330) 743-1109
Wednesday October 6: 6-7:30P
- Reception for Art & Poetry Contest Winners | Open to the Public | Free
- Location: The Soap Gallery | 117 S Champion St, Youngstown, OH
Thursday October 7: 4:30P-7P
- A Day of Rest
Friday October 8:
- FREE Nonviolence Art Class: THE ART OF EMOTION | 11-12:30P | Open to students in grades K-8 |
Location: Jewish Community Center | 505 Gypsy Ln, Youngstown, OH
Registration required: Contact Nic Bush at the Jewish Community Center P: 330-746-3251 ext. 114
E: firstname.lastname@example.org Click here for more information.
- Panel Discussion: Five Day Nonviolence/Social Justice Reading Challenge | 12 PM | FREE
Location: YWCA | 25 W Rayen Ave, Youngstown, OH (& via Zoom) |
Click here to RSVP for the in-person panel discussion & free light luncheon